Saturday, February 7, 2015

A Childhood in: San Diego, California


Gabrielle Fox lives with her husband Ryan, son Reed, and dog Rocky near Mission Bay in San Diego, California. Here's what she has to say about playing outdoors with her boy!

1. Please tell us a little about your family and about life in San Diego.


My husband Ryan and I met 11 years ago and we now have a 3 yr old son named Reed. I am a family & wedding photographer (Gabrielle Fox Photography) and Ryan works for a solar powered event & production company, (Alternative Power Productions). 



Places I can recommend in San Diego are Coronado beach, dog beach in Ocean Beach and Torrey Pines in Del Mar. Our favorite hiking trails are Mission Trails (in Santee, good for kids!), San Miguel Mountain (in Chula Vista) and Mt Woodson (in Poway). Torrey Pines has nice hiking trails too. 


2. What do you love most about the nature where you live?


Living in San Diego near the beach we are very beach-oriented. We go to the beach & bay multiple times a week. Our dog also loves going to dog beach. There are lots of hiking spots nearby that I am actively exploring. I'm looking forward to when my son is able to hike with me!



3. What are your son's favorite outdoor activities? 
Beach and water play, playing at the park, riding in his bike trailer behind our beach cruisers, and camping.



4. Do you have a tip for other parents on how to make nature-play more exciting for days when their kids are resistant to going outside?

Make an outdoor playdate with other kids, put together a fun game like a nature scavenger hunt.



5. Tell us about a nature project that your boy had a lot of fun with!

We collected fall leaves and made a collage. Reed brought his to school to show everyone.

6. What do you pack before heading outdoors?

Lunch and snacks, plenty of water... nothing fancy. If we're going to the beach we bring sunscreen and sand toys. But we like to pack pretty light!



7. Tell us about some of your most trusted brands for children's outdoor gear. 

The BOB stroller has been a god send... we still use it all the time and can go pretty much anywhere in it. When he was little I used to wear him in the Ergo carrier.

8. Who instilled a love for nature in you as a child, and how? Please share one of your favorite childhood memories of being in nature.

Growing up between Bolinas, California and Boulder, Colorado, I was exposed to nature quite a bit! Honestly, I didnt grow to love nature until I was an adult. I do have some fond memories of camping in the Sierras as a child, swimming in lakes, listening to Bob Marley and going to natural hot springs. My dad was the one who took us camping.



9. Why is the child-nature connection so important for your children? What do you hope they will gain and learn from it?


I hope that he will find a connection to the awe and wonder of god's creation. It is such a grounding and spiritual experience. I hope that he continues to enjoy exploring the ocean. Like I said, I grew to love nature later in life and now I can't imagine my life without a connection to nature. I hope that my son experiences it at an earlier age because I think it helps to grow up with nature as an outlet.


All photos courtesy and property of Gabrielle Fox, Gabrielle Fox Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment